Dear God thank you for sending Jesus to be the light of the world. Help us to show others how your light shines through us and leads us to you. Amen
LESSON: GOD CREATES STARS
Have your ever looked up in the sky and wondered about things in the sky? We learn about these things in school, but did you know that all these things are mentioned in the bible!!
Today we will be looking at readings that tell us about God’s creations.
Both day and night belong to you; you made the starlight and the sun. Psalm 74:16 What do you see in the sky at night? Can you name some of the planets that you can see? We are going to learn how God shows his love in his creations.
READ: GENESIS 1:14-15
- What are sources of light in the sky? (sun and stars)
- What can constellations; these are groups of stars that make a pattern; tell us? (what season it is)
READ: GENESIS 1:16-18
- What are the 2 biggest things that light up the sky? (sun, moon). God placed the sun in just the right place so we would have daylight and made the earth spin, so part of the earth is in the shadow.
- When we are in the shadow what do we call this? (night)
- What changes a little bit every night in the sky? (moon)
- Why do you think it looks different? (the moon became a calendar for people- the moon goes from dark to full to dark about every 28 days).
People would count the number of days and look at the moon, so they knew where in the calendar year they were. GOD SHOWS HIS LOVE IN HIS CREATION!
- Put fingerprints, sticky notes and tape on a hand mirror.
- Shine a flashlight at the mirror to see if the light reflects the same.
The light doesn’t reflect as well when there is something covering the mirror. We can notice this in ourselves when things are in the way of our relationship with God. We don’t reflect God’s love as well. God shows us his love in his creations and we want to show that love as well❤️!!
- Find a picture of the phases of the moon.
- Take Oreo cookies apart and scrape off some of the icing to represent the phases of the moon.
- Place the cookies in a circle in the right order of the moon phases.
- Yummy- eat the cookies when done.
God made the moon shine different every night to give us a marker for the months but also the phases affect the tides of the ocean.
- Get mini marshmallows and toothpicks.
- Find pictures of constellations and try to make some of them using the marshmallows and toothpicks.
Dear God thank you for all your creations that show how much you love us. Help us to shine and reflect your love to other people. Amen